In a message dated Tue, 13 Mar 2001  6:54:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Eamonn Condon"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

<< Tom et al,
Report of WC 1500 courtesy of The Irish Times:

Rui Silva won a popular victory for Portugal in the men's 1,500 metres final
on the second day of the three-day world indoor championships today
(Saturday).

Boos and whistles signalling the crowd's anger at a sluggish early pace were
replaced with frenzied applause...>>

I could be wrong, but I think this account is just plain wrong. There were certainly
no boos, simply because European crowds don't boo. As for the whistles, I think they
were positive whistles, a la a North American crowd. I could never figure out the
difference (maybe you needed perfect pitch), but it appeared to me that the Portuguese
whistled for both positive and negative things.

The "mood" during the early part of the race was anything but negative.

gh