although I am not saying that a qualifing meet, a la Ncaa XC, would be the
best solution, it would certainly help some out.  Those in the northeast
that don't fly to California (yes I am talking about my team) have trouble
qualifying for Ncaas.  Most if not all of our meets come in cold and windy
conditions (can you say miserable?).  It is common for the winning times at
our home meets to look like this: 1:54, 3:53, 15:10 (and our team has run
7:20 for 4x800 and 9:33 for DMR over the past two years).
You can bet that if we were running at Stanford our times would be much
faster.  When was the last time a 5k went sub 14:00 during the collegiate
season in New England?  what about 14:20?
If the Ncaa went to regional meets we would have different dilemmas, but
something has to change.
Dan