Conway wrote:

>What if a system were instituted whereby those individuals that meet the auto qualifying marks are automatically in the NCAA >Championships ... And then the fields are filled through the REgional qualifying process ... Would ensure that the top individuals >make it to the meet ... But also provide for head to head competition and the development of high level regional meets ... Which I >do believe would be good for enhancing the fan base ...

Sort of like in basketball - at large bids vs. the automatic conference champion bids.  I seem to remember that this came up during the discussions about options for regional qualifying - I don't know what became of it.  Perhaps it has to do with the inability to predict the exact field sizes - track is limited by the NCAA to an exact number of athletes at the championships.

- Ed Parrot