Where athletes qualified for men's 5k and 10k in 1999 and 2000

1999

Men's 5k - 21 athletes accepted into the meet - qualified from 4 meets
March Stanford meet - 1 (Roybal - Colo)
May Stanford meet - 11
Mt Sac - 7
Penn - 2 (Broe - Bama, Pons - NCSt)

Men's 10k - 19 athletes accepted into the meet - qualified from 4 meets
March Stanford meet - 12
May Stanford meet - 1 (Abdi - Az)
Mt Sac - 1 (Begley - Ark)
Penn - 5

(In 1999 all qualifiers in the 5k and 10k came out of Stanford I, Stanford
II, Penn, or Mt Sac)

2000

Men's 5k - 20 athletes accepted into the meet - qualified from 5 meets
March Stanford - 5
May Stanford - 6
Mt Sac - 6 (including 2 in the B heat)
Raleigh - 1 (Scheofelder - Wis)
Bama Relays - 1 (Kimani - So Ala)

Men's 10k - 20 athletes accepted into the meet - qualified from 5 meets
March Stanford - 10
May Stanford - 2 (Murley & Luchini, Stan)
Mt Sac - 3
Penn - 2 (Bohan - WV, Wisniewski - Mich)
IC4A - 2 (Ondiecki - FDU, Mulvey - Iona **Closed meet)

Side note #1 - In 2000, 36 of 40 performances that made the NCAA meet in the
5k or 10k came from Stanford I, Stanford II, Mt Sac or Penn.
Side note #2 - In 2000, only ONE of the qualifiers in the 5k won their race
to qualify.  In the 10k, only THREE athletes won their race to qualify.

Conclusion - to qualify on time in the men's 5k or 10k the athlete either
must

a) go to Stanford I, Stanford II, Mt Sac, or Penn - or
b) be a Kimiani-level athlete, then you can qualify - essentially - anytime,
anywhere.