Mike wrote:

>Jeff beat me to this. George Young is indeed the most overlooked runner

>in the U.S. And he is one of the runners that I point too as support for
>my theory that the golden age of american distance running was 1964
>to about 1976 and that it was after the "running boom" and the rise of
>the African nations that fortunes began to fall.

Question: With respect to the "running boom" did it perhaps make running too "recreational" in this country ??? And in so doing change the mindset of distance running/runners ?? I ask this as there has been no similar "boom" in any other aspect of the sport, yet the sector that got the "boom" is the one that has seemed to have fallen off in this country ... Just a question ..

Conway Hill