DGS,
The only thing I take issue with is your assertion
that no one can get what they need from food alone.
This is patently not true. Sure it may be more
convenient and even necessary in some cases to take
supplements but it is very possible( a lot of people
including top athletes, do it) to get what one needs
from food alone.
Sean