Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 07:59:03 -0700
From: Ed & Dana Parrot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: t-and-f: Webb's "record"
To: "'t-and-f@darkwing. uoregon. edu' (E-mail)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Ed Grant wrote:

>         We are dealing here, I believe, with what my Jesuit teachers =
> used to call "invincible ignorance" and we just have to put up with it, =
> even if it make the U.S. the laughing stock of statisticians around the =
> world.

Absolutely, and of course the 1600m issue keeps coming up over and over
again.

Another even more surprising batch of ignorance that I ran into when I was
coaching is that a lot of coaches insist that the only way to get accurate
4x400m splits is to take them when the handoff occurs!  Forget the middle of
the zone, they want to get a time on exactly how long the athlete ran for
and compare it to how long the athlete ran for last meet.  It's always
amusing to hear them talking about how one of their athletes ran faster than
they could have imagined and another ran slow for no apparent reason.

- Ed Parrot