---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 20:04:19 -0700
From: Ed Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: t-and-f: Hand timing

        That last reminds me of a story my good friend Tommy Mitchell (the
guy who taught Andy Stanfield how to start) once told me.

        Tom, one of the greatest track coaches in NJ history, was a longtime
teacher at Lincoln HS in Jersey City. he coaches there twice, from around
1930 to0 1942 and again from around 1955 to 1965. In between, however, he
continued to teach their with Art Wisner (the founder of the Shore AC and
later coach of the Grand Street Boys Olympic Gold MR team), who was also
coach twice, before Tommy and then in that 1943-55 "interlude.

        The Lincoln team used to train indoors on a "made-up" track around
the posrts that surrounded their cellar basketball court. One day, Wisner
was putting his boys through their [aces with Mitchell looking on. Tommy
noticed that Art was stopping his watch before runners actually got to the
"finish line." When he asked why, Wisner replied, "Well, they should have
finished by then."
                                                Ed Grant