From: Ed & Dana Parrot
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2001 9:39 AM
To: 't-and-f@darkwing. uoregon. edu' (E-mail)
Subject: Re: t-and-f: Elite expectations

DGS wrote:
>An example is Webb.  There is a lot of discussion about his successes, and times, but there are also discussions regarding if he >is running too much, too fast, too soon.  It becomes evident when we start to discuss sprinters or foreign distance runners.
>Junior sprinters are expected to be world class by the time the finish college, if not sooner, and there is rare talk of over training >when we discuss foreign juniors.

That is a good point that many people question whether a distance runner is doing "too much too soon", but the question is rarely considered for sprinters.  I tend to think that doing too much is as much related to attitude than physiology, but either way, it never seems to be a concern about sprinters.  Yet every year we see just as many high school sprint talents who fail to succeed at the next level as we do distance runners.  Perhaps some of this IS related to what they did or didn't do in high school, just as it may be with the distance runners.  I don't know very much about how the sub 10.5 high school sprinters train.

As for world distance juniors, it is my impression that two countries - Ethiopia and Kenya - dominate, with a few north Africans as well.  I suspect that the 3:42 and 13:35 junior times that Kebba is telling us aren't good enough would be considered excellent by every non-African country in the world.  Not to mention the fact that the Africans themselves will admit that the accuracy of their birth records are not all that great by western standards.

I do agree that expectations are not what they should be as a general rule.  To some extent, it's a chicken and an egg concept.  If you're used to local dual and tri-meets won with a 5:00 mile and you watch a local league meet won in 4:45, a 4:25 runner will be a superstar.  A 4:10 miler seems like someone from another planet. Add to that the annoyingly popular concept of "everyone's a winner" and you have an expectation/attitude/performance problem that will not be fixed simply by telling today's best high schoolers that they stink.

- ed Parrot