--- bobhersh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But you should know that the idea that you're
> referring to has been around for decades.

I figured I wasn't breaking any new ground there, I just hadn't seen it
discussed.

> Most hand times are still inaccurate
> because most hand timers still think that you're supposed to stop your
> watch at the very instant that the runner reaches the finish line.

That's what I meant when I said the method of hand timing actually makes a
bit more sense.  The hand time starts at the smoke from the gun, which in
most cases should be exactly the same time as the athlete reacts to the
sound of the gun.  The hand time stops as the athlete crosses the line,
just as any sensible timing system should, as does FAT.  In effect, you
are timing exactly what the athlete is running.

I understand the whole reaction time reasoning, but give the above line of
thought, how would one explain that that is *not* the correct sequence of
events to be timing.  You get extra credit if you can make your
explanation make sense to a non-track junkie.  :-)

Dan

=====
http://AbleDesign.com - AbleDesign, Web Design that Can!
http://Run-Down.com - 10,000 Running Links, Free Contests...