From: Oleg Shpyrko [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 9:33 AM
To: P.F.Talbot
Cc: Track list
Subject: RE: t-and-f: Follow the money was- Flat earth Creationism

RE: Soccer.
Soccer is much more technical than distance running. You need access to good
coaching, facilities, etc., whereas with distance running the overall
approach is much more simple.
Additionally - in my opinion soccer is much more competitive sport
throughout the world. Soccer is #1 sport in the world, and in almost every
country - in Europe, South America, or even Asia and Africa - A LOT more
money thrown into soccer compared to Kenya. Kenya is 17th poorest country in
the world, so even if ALL of their resources go into soccer, it still cannot
be even compared to resources that go into sport in countries like France,
Italy or Brazil. Additionally - soccer is very different because you need a
long tradition of being good at soccer, unlike distance running, you cannot
become great overnight, even if you throw a lot of money into it. Even after
soccer spread out to asia, africa and US, european and south american
countries continue to dominate soccer on the world scene. Great example is
US, which after World Cup on their soil in 1994 started spending a lot more
to become competitive on the world scene, and which probably spends tens or
even thousands times what a tiny country like Croatia is spending, but what
they lack is tradition - something a lot of European and South American
countries have plenty of. Additionally - geographically European and South
American countries are at advantage because of well-established league
systems/tradings, UEFA championships etc. This is something countries like
USA, Canada, Kenya etc. lack in trying to become good at soccer on
international level. In other words - while DC United plays New England
Revolution, Manchester United is playing Dynamo Kiev or Real Madrid. See the
difference?

You cannot make the same arguments about soccer, which requires a much more
substantial combination of factors to have a successful team. It's a much
more complex situation, and being #1 sport in the country (which is true for
most of the world) doesn't automatically mean there will be great soccer
players from that country.

Oleg.