I realize what I'm about to present may be difficult for this crowd to
comprehend, given the endless discussion over the obvious (Taboo: "Why tiny
little men who train their asses off can run fast"), but here goes:

I've devised a complicated algorithm to assist runners and officials alike
in counting backwards at track meets. As you are aware, the steeplechase,
with that pesky FRACTION of a lap can be especially troubling for counters.
You don't need to know the sophisticated math behind my chismbop -- you just
need to know that it works.

Take you hand and close it in a loose fist with the thumb resting gently
over the fingers. Since most of us don't have partial digits we'll let the
thumb represent 1/2 lap. Now, here's the tricky part. After each lap extend
one of your fingers. As you'll see, after four and a half laps, you'll have
one thumb tucked (1/2) and four fingers extended. (Wink) Four and a half.
See how easy it is? Now, over the next three laps start using the fingers on
your other hand. I'll bet you're thinking to yourself "Why didn't I think of
that?"

Some of you might have discovered that it's a natural thing to count along
in your heads? Soon that counting will replace your fingers and you'll never
need Malmo's Complicated Chismbop again.

malmo,

Just because I can count doesn't mean I think I'm better than you are.
'Though, I probably a am.