First of all, I am not a USATF basher (at least not since some old AAU days
when Pre and Shorter were being hassled...well and maybe some beefs with
Ollan Cassell). I firmly believe that our governing body has taken some
positive strides since Masback has taken the reins...good folks on board at
the top including the likes of Bill Roe and Carol McLatchie....HOWEVER, I am
quite disappointed with USATF's decision to disallow the participation of
Michael Johnson on the World Championships 4 x 4 squad should he not compete
in Eugene's USATF Natls (June 21-24).

As a guy with a half dozen super premium finish line seats at that meet,
know, that I'd LOVE to see MJ in action in Eugene...yet, if it's not o his
agenda, so be it...first of all, USATF should recognize all that Michael
Johnson HAS done for track and field awareness in this country and tip their
hats to him on his farewell tour (in a show of sportsmanship and gratitude).
secondly, what's good for the sport internationally is good for the sport
locally...MJ in Edmonton is good for track and field PERIOD...I rest my
case!

-MF

ps...be sure to read the attached blurb re: Antonio Pettigrew's opinion

Subject: t-and-f: Let Johnson run in Edmonton, says Pettigrew