Assuming you weren't being facetious, I see several problems with this
approach:

1.  Unless the jumpers somehow declare an estimated upper limit to their
upcoming jump and the placement of bars is adjusted accordingly for each
jumper, some of the bars would be placed much higher than many of the less
talented athletes could jump, resulting in the jumper essentially crashing
headlong into a plane of bars on pegs.  Even though the wall of bars is not
very solid, seems to me the prospect of this might cramp the jumping style
of many jumpers and inhibit their performances.

2.  The falling upper bars could knock off lower bars that were cleared,
thus erroneously lowering the mark.

3.  Since their knees are bent at that point, some jumpers' heels appear to
extend under the bar a bit at the point where their hips are passing over
the bar.  This could result in the jumper kicking off a lower bar while
legitimately clearing a higher bar.  Again, no good.

Kurt Bray