One problem with this thesis: you assume that if ones talent is "slow to
emerge except with hard training" equates with "not being at the top of the
talent scale." That's a huge assumption, not testable, and therefore
specious. The very definition of "talent" is that it is there. I believe you
confuse "innate capacity" with "innate ability." There is NO SUCH THING AS
INNATE ABILITY. Those who "emerge" through "hard work" have innate ability,
which they unlocked through hard work (understanding that tapping talent is
different with different people and body types). Without such innate
capacity, all the hard work in the world would come to naught. No matter how
hard Donovan Bailey may train, he will NEVER become an elite marathoner.
Never. Ever.