In a message dated 5/29/01 10:59:11, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<Based on what I've seen so far, I believe Webb would
be favored to win the NCAA 1500 - if he were eligible
to compete right now.   You could say "what about Jennings"
or whomever" - which is true - he and others like him
would make for a good race. >>

I don't think I'd make him the fave at all in such a hypoth. matchup (nor do
i see him as the fave for USATF). To use a sailing analogy, Pre was a fleet
race, the NCAA is more of a match race. At Pre, everybody was chasing the
rabbits, then chasing El G, and in general chasing only time. There wasn't a
lot of "racing" going on (although Webb was impressive attackingp eople on
the last lap). When it comes to NCAA (and USATF) everybody will know wehre
everybody else is at all times, and be concerned more with place than with
time.

In that environment, a Berryhill vs. Webb clash won't bear any resemblance to
Eugene.

gh