The Electronic Telegraph
Tuesday 5 June 2001
Tom Knight

Zola Budd, whose involvement in Mary Slaney's fall during the 3,000m final
typified the wretchedness of the year after she arrived here from South
Africa, will take part in the inaugural British Open 10km Road Race in
London on July 22. It will be her first race for five years.

Her recent 35th birthday means she is now classified as a veteran, but her
memories of her time in Britain remain fresh. Budd, like Cook a mother of
three, said: "Life was unreal then and the scars are still healing. When I
came to Britain, I didn't know who Nelson Mandela was. Yet wherever I went I
was confronted by protesters holding banners calling for his release from
prison.

"I had to ask who he was. People thought I was stupid but that's how it was.
In three months here, I learnt more about South Africa than I ever did when
I was living there."

Budd's outstanding ambitions as an athlete include running in the Great
North Run and next year's London Marathon. "Even after everything that's
happened, I still like running in England more than anywhere else," she
said.

Eamonn Condon
www.RunnersGoal.com