A more visible bar in a vertical event would not impair competition.  The
athlete still has to clear the bar and gets the same rest between jumps as
a 20/20 competitor.  A more direct analogy would be requiring one group of
jumpers to do some physical activity between jumps, for example, running a
mile or doing a set of squats, while the others do whatever they please.

Anyone who has played a round of golf on a hot, humid day on a hilly course
knows that there is a significant difference to an able-bodied player
between walking and riding in a shaded cart.  Over the course of a 72 hole
tournament, conditioning could affect scores because fatigue affects both
mechanics and concentration.

The biathlon makes a contest of performing an endurance activity
(cross-country skiing or running) and a skill that requires precision
rather than pure athleticism (target shooting).  The level of exertion in
golf is lower and points are not awarded for speed (speed golf being a
different sport), but the role of fatigue over the course of a tournament
is implicitly part of the game, in my opinion.

Casey Martin can argue that his medical condition and the fatigue resulting
from walking are a wash, but what about the next person, or the one after
that?  The sensible thing for the PGA to do at this point is to declare
victory and let any player who wishes to ride do so.  The use of caddies to
carry a player's bag already exists, so even if they are correct that
walking is essential, they have an avenue available for re-leveling the
playing field.  Golfers in carts would not be nearly as attractive for TV
as walkers, but I'm sure that this problem can be addressed by existing
video technology.

But I see little in this discussion that is truly relevant to elite
T&F.  The most similar issue I can recall wheelchair competitors in road
races (albeit, in their own division), and that happened long ago.  Maybe
the PGA should have cart/no cart categories...

Bill Bahnfleth

William P. Bahnfleth, Ph.D., P.E.
Associate Professor

Department of Architectural Engineering