Last year, I was able to buy a new pit.  I was told by the salesman to buy a
21'x24' pit because in a couple of years it would be the size reccommended.
I bought one for around $10,000 by the time everything was done.  I'm very
pleased with it.
Last week I talked with him about Ed's previous post about the pole vault.
He pretty much confirms Ed's comments about the rules recommendation in
2003.  It was going to be next year but is being put off for a year in
deciding whether the width should be 20' or 21', probably because a 21' pit
will spill over to the track in some places.
I pushed pretty hard to get the pit this year because our district is going
to be in deep financial problems in the near future.
After having to spend $1500 to $3000 to replace javelins for next year, I'm
afraid Ed is correct about how schools might react to having to spend big
bucks on new pole vault pits.

phil weishaar
chapman kansas