Listers,
     I have been reading Ed Grant's posts about lack of coverage for track in
NJ and I have to tell you it is the same thing here in CT.  My local paper
will usually only put a 3 inch column for any track news and even the local
track stuff is sometimes a day late.
     But I just read the AP article about Webb's heat at Nationals by Bert
Rosenthal in todays paper.  Besides making the cover of the NY Times, getting
an article in Sports Ilustrated and making the rounds on many TV talk, I have
heard many non track fans talk about him.  I hope Alan doesn't read this
because I don't want to put unwanted pressure on him, but he could be the one
athlete that could bring track back in the minds of everyday Americans.
     We've always had our sprinters, but we need an American distance runner
out there if we want to get Joe Public's attention.  Just look at the make up
of this list.  There is probably more written about distance running than any
other event.  Track was big in America when we had Prefontaine, then Scott,
then Rodgers and Shorter.  If Webb and Ritzenheim are able to live up their
potential, we might have found our people that can sell the sport.
     Tiger did it for golf, Jordon for basketball and Gretsky did it for
hockey.  Hopefully as these young men mature and reach their potential, track
and field will take its place as one of the more popular sports in American
again.
                                          M.O.