In a message dated Sun, 8 Jul 2001 12:28:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Kurt Bray"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

<< The 4:10 number came from right here on the list.  But I did see several obits that
said he set a New England high school record in the two mile.  It was merely my
wondering what such a mark might be that set off this whole thread.  I did not mean it
end up trashing the memory of a man recently dead.>>

I've never quite understood the predilection people have for giving free passes on BS
when somebody dies. When I go, can I use my mulligan for something meaningful like a
Nobel Prize?

But seriously, here's an interesting wrinkle to the whole Lemmon file. Now that
somebody came up with a graduation date,I checked old HS State meet records. There's
nobody from Phillips listed in the 1943 Mass meet, but perhaps that's because he was
an ineligible post-HS grad at a prep school? But here's the interesting part: in those
days the longest distance run in the state meet was the 880! No mile, let alone a
deuce!

The winner of the '43 race ran a blistering 2:03.6.

The NCAA Guide for that year lists results of 24 state meets, NONE of which ran a 2M.
The fastest prep time of the year was 4:21.4 for Roland Sink (South Pasadena, Ca).
There are 8 times listed on the honor roll (which Jack Shepard would probably find
rather incomplete), with the last time on the list being 4:32.1. Obviously, not
everybody ran 4:30 in those days.

gh