Surin avoids disqualification
Sprinter appeared to false-start twice

>From today's Ottawa Citizen:

Bruny Surin, a world and Olympic medallist, appeared to false-start twice in
the quarter-final round, but track officials waved it off without
explanation.

Ottawa's Glenroy Gilbert, who ran beside Surin in Lane 5, was furious
immediately after stepping off the track.

"Why not ask the officials?" said Gilbert, when quizzed about the disputed
second false start against Surin. "They know what happened, and I'm sure you
do, too."

Cameroon runner Alfred Moussambini, who started in Lane 8, said Surin was
saved by the fact the international competition was held in Canada.

"They (track officials) say there was no false start," Moussambini
explained. "There was no charge because, I think, I'm sure, we're in Canada.

"I'm sure if it was another guy, it would be immediate (disqualification).
But we're in Canada."

Complete article at:
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/010721/5033359.html

Ken Parker