This message was emailed to you from sacbee.com.

Message: Sac State hosts stars of future
For some, this week's Junior Olympics meet might serve as a prelude to the 2004 Games.

Sac State hosts stars of future: For some, this week's Junior Olympics meet might
serve as a prelude to the 2004 Games.
By David Carrillo
Bee Staff Writer
(Published July 23, 2001)

Julene Bailey is only 16, but her seventh-place showing at the youth version of the
Olympic Games this month has led some Idahoans to consider harvesting a new crop
alongside potatoes next year  --  vaulting poles.

  "It's amazing to hear how many people in Idaho want to start picking up these
sticks," said Bailey, who vaulted 12 feet, 5 1/2 inches for Team USA at the World
Youth Championships meet in Debrecen, Hungary.

  "I can't imagine what the buzz is going to be in Idaho if I make the 2004 Olympic
Games."

  For now, Bailey is among more than 6,000 athletes who have their sights on the 35th
USA Track & Field National Junior Olympics, which run Thursday through Sunday at
Sacramento State.

  The Hornet Stadium oval was the site last summer for the U.S. Olympic Trials in
track and field. And the Junior Olympics have been a launching pad for some of
America's top athletes.

You can see the remainder of this story at:
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/news/sports01_20010723.html