The Electronic Telegraph
Friday 27 July 2001
Tom Knight

IWAN THOMAS saw his determination and ingenuity pay off this week when he
achieved the 400 metres qualifying time for next month's World Championships
in Edmonton at a low-key athletics meeting in Watford.

Thomas appeared to have missed his chance for selection for the individual
event after he could manage only 45.82sec at Sunday's international meeting
at Crystal Palace. It looked like he had run out of time. But, come Monday
morning, he was determined to give it one last throw. He found out that
there was a British Milers' Club meeting on Wednesday night. Of course he
could compete, they said. The problem was that there was no 400m event.

Undeterred, Thomas rang round his friends and training partners, including
Paul Slythe and Tim Bailey, organised his own race and won in a time of
45.70sec - 0.02 inside the time required to compete with the world's best in
Canada next week.

He is waiting to hear if the International Amateur Athletic Federation's
technical committee will make him a special case and allow him to take the
injured Daniel Caines's place in the individual 400m.

After two years of battling back from injury, the European and Commonwealth
champion may have proved a point but he managed to do it a good 24 hours
after the World Championships' entry deadline. After all, the place to run
that fast was in front of 17,000 cheering fans at the British Grand Prix at
Crystal Palace, where every athlete knew it was their last chance to make
the team - not at Watford's Woodside Stadium, on a night when most of the
British team were strapped into their economy seats and on their way to
Canada.

But athletes are notorious for making things difficult for themselves.
Thomas is no exception and, in a way, the race on Wednesday night is
testimony to his perseverance and pride. He knew people were writing him
off, claiming that two years was more than enough time for him to have shown
some semblance of his best form. When he finished only seventh in the
European Cup last month in Bremen, the same critics suggested he would never
recapture the strength and speed he showed in 1998.

Thomas thought otherwise. Already selected for the 4 x 400m relay in
Edmonton, he wanted to prove to himself that he could still cut it.

He said: "I ran badly at Crystal Palace. I didn't go off hard enough. So I
rang the BMC organisers and asked if they could put on a race. They told me
if I could get another seven runners they would. I've got my training
partners to thank for travelling up to Watford. They made it happen."

Eamonn Condon
www.RunnersGoal.com