On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 18:59:31 -0400
"John Dye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Subject: RE: t-and-f: Access

Break the minutes and seconds into different fields.
Convert everything to seconds for ranking purposes and then put it back in
minutes and seconds format for display and reporting purposes.

---------------------
Comment:

While you're about it, why not translate everything
into elvish, encrypt it in Martian military code,
convert it into Mongolian ideographs, and then put
it back into English?

Isn't it incredible how junk software can change an
elementary, trivial task into a complex, tiresome,
inaccessible mess, and exact payment of some hundreds
of dollars for the privilege?

Instead, you might consign access and other packages
like it to the nearest long-drop and do the job in a
fraction of the time using a simple line editor and
DOS batch file. They will produce in a few seconds all
the ranking lists anyone could ever want or conceive,
such as an all-time list for any country, or for the
world, on any date since the sport began - results which
are impossible for any reach-me-down software on the
market either today or at any time in the past. In
short, follow Thoreau's advice: simplify, simplify.