[EMAIL PROTECTED] schreef:

> In a message dated 8/7/01 20:40:53, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> <<Okay, now that the decathlon is done it's not too early to conjecture the
> year-end T&FN rankings- who gets number one- the new world record holder, and
> first to break the 9,000-point "barrier", or the world champion (with a superb
> new WC meet record) ?
> Are either one of them gonna contest a decathlon at the Goodwill Games, or in
> Europe in September, or
> are they done for the year?>>
> It's far too early for such silliness. Most ofthe leading characters in this
> little drama are expected to compete in Talence in September. You've got to
> remember that the dec (and hept) version of the Golden League is the IAAF's
> multi-event series, which concludes w/ Talence. There's big bucks (HUGE bucks
> by multi standards) available in this series, although I can't remember the
> exact figures at this point.
> And Talence, like Götzis, is one of those must-do social events for the
> European deca-elite. I'd be stunned if Sebrle, Dvorák and Nool aren't all in
> France in another month. The No.1 Ranking will almost certainly go to the
> winner there, if it's one of the two Czechs. If it's Nool, then there's a real
> bun-fight.
> gh

In fact, several of the Edmonton competators might be looking at >two< more
decathlons.
There is the World Student Games in a few weeks, indeed Talence a two weeks later
and than the Goodwill Games. So Mr. Hill is very right as to say there is no
point in speculating on the T&FN ranking (and if he wouldn't be, there is little
use in arguing with him anyway (;-)

Regards,
Wilmar
(about to leave the press room for a nice nigth of top t-and-f action - including
the finals of the steeple chase (the fourth sweep of the championships?), the
discus throw (will the 'old' Riedel pull it off again?) and the 10,000 m (more
open than ever, with maybe Habte Jifar the favorite to put a challenge to his
compatriot Gebrselassie).