Ed wrote: "Maybe Entine is right ... we have no chance, and should just give
up
before
> >we fall further behind.  We have no chance of ever getting a 16 year old
> >go 8:19 or even a 19 year old to go 7:58.

Yep, and no chance of ever getting someone to run 3:53, either.

Never say never, just figure out what it's going to take and run like hell.
As fans we can speculate on the difficulties, but I sure hope the athletes
don't."

You make Brian's point. A 3:53 is the equivalent of a 8:22+ steeple. A 7:58
steeple is the equivalent of a 3:43+ mile. Perhaps these comparisons might
just put the WJR "record" in perspective.

Regards,

Martin