Bannister did not set the "ultimate" WR.  His mark was beaten many times
throughout the 1950s.  Runners like the Hungarians, Czechs, Russians, and
Australians trained much harder than those in the past, and forced records
down in all events from the 1500 on up.  Marks that were world records in
1948, were not even world class by 1960.  You cannot draw conclusions about
an era from a single runner in a single event.

Richard McCann