From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001 8:16 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: t-and-f: A note of comparison

on 16/9/01 4:35, Robert Hersh at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This kind of thinking is what's unfortunate.  It is morally and factually
> wrong to equate Islam with terrorism.  Most Muslims are not terrorists.
> certainly hope that our nation's leaders do not make the mistake of
turning
> the fight against terrorism into an effort to destroy a religion.

I take it you're not a big fan of Ann Coulter, Bob?

"We know who the homicidal maniacs are. They are the ones cheering and
dancing right now. We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and
convert them to Christianity."Ann Coulter 9/14/2001
( http://www.townhall.com/columnists/anncoulter/ac20010914.shtml )

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Besides wondering how hate-mongerers on any stripe get space in any
respectable media, I'm wondering, culturally, how the success of great
Moslem T&F athletes is regarded by these fanatics.  Somehow, I have the
sense that an Aouita or el-Guerrouj might not be the target of terrorism,
but that to the anti-Western radicals they wouldn't be mourned if they were
the secondary victims of a terrorist attack.

I guess if terrorism is a major concern, picking Bejing to host the
Olympics is probably as safe as it gets.  Homogenous, totalitarian regimes
put a big damper on terrorist activities.

OTOH, if the "War on Terrorism" continues for a few years - and I
personally have little reason to suspect that it will be a "one punch"
knockout - Athens in 2004 can't be viewed as a particularly secure venue.

Phil