Saturday, October 20th, Eamon Condon's transcription of an article in The
Electronic Telegraph included:

>The news last weekend that Inger Miller, the American sprinter, had tested
>positive for caffeine has hardly eased the situation given that the test
>took place in 1999 and it had taken 2.5 years for the news to become public
>and any penalties to be applied.

I realize that it is aside from the main thrust of this article, and I
realize that my question may be naive, but why would it matter that an
athlete tests positive for caffiene? I can't see that consuming a dozen
cups of coffee or a dozen cans of cola per day provides any advantage in
muscle-building, stamina, or anything else relevant to athletic
performance.

How does caffiene get into the list of proscribed substances?

(No intention of "shooting the messenger:" I think we all appreciate the
service Eamonn does in transcribing these articles.)