I was one who actually spent his youth doing this very exercise from 7th grade thru
high school every summer putting up hay for various farmers around the area.  I was
actually pretty good at it and could easily sling a bale, 6 to 8 high on a wagon
depending on weight of bale.    After 6 years of putting up hay, I went to college
where I became friends with others who actually lifted weights.  the first time I ever
tried to max out on a bench press  I couldn't bench 120 lbs.   Like most things
throwing hay bales is all technique.  BTW,  if you think it is hard to get kids to run
for track, try to HIRE them to pick up 80 lb square bales and stack them in a barn!

phil weishaar
chapman kansas