From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2001 6:08 PM
Subject: Re: t-and-f: NCAA Pre-Meet/Furman Invitational

> Pre-Nats??? This looks like Nationals minus Arkansas and Wisconsin!!!
>
> A quick count reveals that only 7 men's and 4 women's teams ranked in the
top 25 in the latest polls won't be there. Ranked teams that will be there:

> Men: 1, 2, 5, 8-11, 13-22, 24
> Women: 1-6, 8,9, 11-13, 15-22, 24, 25
>
> How much longer before Griak becomes the meet that qualifies you for the
Pre-NCAA? :-)

> I think the qualifying system is much more fair than it was before the
field was expanded, but at what cost? Many meets now suffer because schools
prefer going to Pre-NCAA or Griak. For example: Murray Keating, Wolverine
Interregional, Big Cross (Pasco, Wa), Central Collegiates, Paul Short, etc.

> And what about poor schools in the southeast district? They have to run at
Furman for Districts as well. So probably half their races are on the same
course.

> So is the Pre-NCAA idea a good one? I still think so, but would like to
hear what others think.
> sideshow
>

> In a message dated Tue, 9 Oct 2001  5:21:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> > Info from Furman on this Saturday's NCAA Pre-Meet.
> >
> > Following is some crucial information on the NCAA Pre-Meet/Furman
> > Invitational, slated for Saturday, Oct.  13, at the Furman Cross Country
> > Course (on the Furman Golf Course).
> >
> > Schedule of Events
> > 8:30      Furman Invitational Junior Varsity Girls 5K
> > 9:10      Furman Invitational Junior Varsity Boys 5K
> > 9:40      Furman Invitational Varsity Girls 5K
> > 10:15     Furman Invitational Varsity Boys 5K
> > 10:45     NCAA Pre-Meet Women's Purple 6K
> > 11:20     NCAA Pre-Meet Women's Silver 6K
> > 11:55     NCAA Pre-Meet Men's Black 8K
> > 12:35     NCAA Pre-Meet Men's Gold 8K
> > 1:15 Furman Invitational Men's 8K
> > 2:00 Furman Invitational Women's 6K
> >
> > Teams that have been accepted into the NCAA Pre-Meet races will be
> > announced Thursday at noon on the Furman website.  The address is
> > www.furmanpaladins.com.  Please click on the NCAA Championships logo,
> > scroll down to the results section, and click on the Furman
> > Invitational/NCAA Pre-Meet link.  There you will find links to the race
> > fields for the pre-meet races.  There will be two balanced women's
pre-meet
> > races (purple & silver) and two balanced men's pre-meet races (black &
> > gold).  All other teams, and all overflow individuals will be put into
the
> > Furman Invitational races.  Each pre-meet race will have 37 teams and NO
> > individuals.
> >
> > COMPLETE  Collegiate  Fields  (Men):   Stanford,  Washington, Georgia
Tech,
> > Alabama, Virginia, Washington State, Columbia, Ball State, Texas, ETSU,
UNC
> > Asheville,  Oakland (Mich.), Butler, Northern Iowa, Iowa, Youngstown
State,
> > Brown,  Wake  Forest,  Marquette,  Colorado  State,  Marshall,  Air
Force,
> > Brevard, Central Michigan, Dartmouth, Wofford, Cornell, Texas Tech,
Oregon,
> > North  Carolina,  Kentucky,  North  Greenville,  Samford,  Michigan
State,
> > LaSalle,  Guelph, Missouri, Utah, Birmingham Southern, N.C. State,
Furman,
> > Villanova,  Bucknell,  Indiana,  Life,  Bethune  Cookman, Colorado,
Arizona
> > State,  BYU,  Indiana,  Montreat,  Elon,  Princeton, College of
Charleston,
> > Belmont,  Appalachian  State,  Western Carolina, Western Kentucky,
Radford,
> > Queens,  Duke, Arizona, Northern Arizona, Cincinnati, Nofolk State,
Eastern
> > Michigan,  New Mexico, Georgia, Florida, Weber State, Notre Dame,
Winthrop,
> > Davidson, Mercer, Lenoir Rhyne, Miami (Ohio), Clemson, Tennessee,
Syracuse,
> > Kent  State,  Toledo,  Georgetown,  Florida  State,  St.  Francis (Pa),
UNC
> > Charlotte,  Emory,  Coastal  Carolina,  Liberty,  Savannah State,
Richmond,
> > Eastern  Illinois, Loyola (Chicago), Tennessee Tech, Ohio State,
Creighton,
> > The  Citadel,  UC-Santa Barbara, UCLA, Minnesota, South Florida,
Charleston
> > Southern, Baylor, Virginia Tech
> >
> > COMPLETE  Collegiate  Field  (Women):   Missouri, Birmingham Southern,
N.C.
> > State,  Mississippi  State,  Furman, BYU, Villanova, Bucknell, IUPUI,
Life,
> > Tennessee, Bethune-Cookman, Colorado, Arizona State, College of
Charleston,
> > Appalachian  State,  Western Carolina, Minnesota, Western Kentucky,
Queens,
> > Duke,  Arizona,  Northern  Arizona,  Elon,  Princeton, New Mexico,
Georgia,
> > Weber  State,  Notre  Dame,  Alabama,  Winthrop,  Mercer, Pittsburg,
Boston
> > College,  Lenoir-Rhyne, Yale, Stanford, Miami (Ohio), Columbia,
Washington,
> > Indiana,  Georgia  Tech,  South Alabama, Virginia, Texas, Washington
State,
> > Columbia,  Ball  State, ETSU, Northwestern, UNC Asheville, Oakland
(Mich.),
> > Butler,  Northern  Iowa,  Youngstown  State, Brown, Wake Forest,
Marquette,
> > Colorado State, Cornell, Marshall, Air Force, Dartmouth, Brevard,
Campbell,
> > Wofford,  Texas  Tech,  North Carolina, Kentucky, North Greenville,
Oregon,
> > Samford,  Michigan  State,  LaSalle,  Guelph, Syracuse, Kent State,
Toledo,
> > Georgetown,  Florida State, St. Francis (Pa.), Boston Univ., Georgia
State,
> > Norfolk  State,  UNC  Charlotte, Clemson, Radford, Emory, Coastal
Carolina,
> > Liberty, Richmond, Eastern Ill., Loyola (Chicago), West Virginia,
Portland,
> > Tennessee   Tech,   Creighton,   UC-Santa  Barbara,  UCLA,  South
Florida,
> > Charleston Southern, Baylor, South Carolina, Virginia Tech
> >
> > Results;   Will be available on the Furman website (see above), postrace
at
> > the  Athletics  Building,  and  via  faxback.   Call  201-461-5726 from
the
> > handset  of  your fax machine.  Document numbers are as follows:  j.v.
boys