This is to follow up concerns regarding the perceived drop-off in the
quality of the list. One of the issues i have as a non-US participant (I
reside "down under"), is that track and field is not the major topic of
discussion over the period Oct, Nov, Dec etc, as the list gets extremely
US-centric and College X-C etc becomes the focus.

I have no particular problem with this, as I accept the majority of list
members are interested in these comps.

One issue for me (and perhaps others, i don't know), is that i don't
actually have a complete grasp on the NCAA system. I don't understand what
the purpose of Pre-Nats are  - is it just to see the course/opposition or
was there some value in performing in terms of qualification?

In essence I have a series of questions that i couldn't find answers to
very easily on the NCAA/collegerunning sites:

1. How do schools qualify for NCAA champs?
2. How do individuals qualify?
3. What is the role of divisional champs and how come some schools don't
have a divisional alignment?
4. How do "at large" quals work?
5. Why are there no rankings/predictions of individuals' race
results/rankings similar to the Team rankings?

Background to my interest/questions and an example you might use to
illustrate your explanation: an old clubmate of mine Marty Fedmowski is at
Butler in Indianapolis... they don't seem to be in a conference... but they
beat a couple of the ranked schools at Pre-Nats... what do they to qualify
And he finished 9th in his Pre-nats Race and probably 25-26th overall...
does this make any difference to his chance of running at Champs?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can remedy my ignorance/confusion...

And maybe this might serve as a reminder that not all on here are from the
US and that your systems are far from transparent...

(Other topics i might raise in the future include "what the hell is NAIA
basketball and why would we see it on cable here?")

Oh, and i love GH and Malmo's jokes... they lighten up what can be dreary
reading...

Thanks,

Andre Sammartino
A cog in the wheel of the Bayside machine
1999-2000, 2000-1 State League (Men's) Champions
"Are you hip to our funky groove?"
http://surf.to/bayside