I have been approached by an estate agent who has uncovered a cache of 28
medals (25 of them gold) won by Irv Baxter, the 1900 Olympic HJ and PV
champ.  Most of the medals are from his national AAU championships and Met
(NYC) AAU champs.  He won the nat'l AAU HJ in 1897, '98, '99, '00 and '02,
and the nat'l AAU PV in '99.  No Olympic medals are among the set because
the IOC had not begun to strike their own medals.

Baxter was graduated from Univ. Pennsylvania in 1901 with a law degree,
returned to his hometown of Utica, N.Y., where he became a lawyer.  He
eventually argued two cases before the U.S. Supreme Court, one on behalf of
the New York Gambino family involving the Volstead Act and claiming illegal
search and seizure of a liquor shipment from Canada.

The seller desires to keep the set together.  The gold content is assayed
at c.$3000.  The final price may be negotiable.  Penn has no acquisitions
fund for such a collection, and I am in the process of contacting a variety
of museums and individuals, generally with very little luck.  My only
interest, and that of Penn and the Penn Relays, is to keep the set together.

If you are interested as a potential buyer, please contact me off-list.

Dave Johnson