Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 01:04:40
From: "Kurt Bray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Re: t-and-f: Pre-league records

>Absolutely it should still stand if the league is still the same basic
>entity with just a few teams added or removed.  Obviously leagues can
>change
>their names and take other structural measures that would make it a grey
>area, but simply removing a team or two shouldn't make the records invalid.

This has me thinking - what should be done about records for the WAC and
Mountain West conferences?  The Western Athletic Conference (WAC) started
some time ago (in the 60s I think) consisting of 8 schools - all in the
Mountain time zone.  In the 70s Arizona and Arizona State left to join the
PAC 8, boosting it to PAC 10.  To fill in the gap the WAC added a 3 schools
- - Hawaii, San Diego State, and UNLV.

A decade or so later the WAC went on a growth binge and added a whole bunch
of far-slung schools, essentially doubling in size.  It soon became apparent

that this bloated conference was too big and unwieldy, so a group of
schools, consisting of all the original WAC schools except UTEP and all of
the first round of added schools except Hawaii, broke away to form the
Mountain West conference.  So the Mountain West conference membership is
almost identical to the what the WAC was through much of the 70s and 80s.
But the WAC itself still exists with all these other new schools.

What would would you make of old WAC records from the 70s?  Are they still
WAC records, or should the Mountain West claim them?  Could both conferences

claim them?  It's an interesting case.

Kurt Bray