[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated Sat, 12 Jan 2002  6:17:38 AM Eastern Standard Time, "John Dye"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Six high school relays (4x800, 4x400, and 4x200 for boys and girls) have been
>added to the USA Indoor Track and Field Championships to be held at the New York
>Armory March 1-2.>>
>
> Hey, why don't they park a Volkswagen in the middle of the infield and see how many
>midgets can climb out of it? OK, I'm being silly, but the point I'm trying to make
>is, if you can't sell the Nationals on its own merit, what's the point of even having
>the danged thing? I have nothing against the prep relays per se, and suspect they'll
>be incredibly well received. But any time you get away from trying to sell your core
>product for what is, you're on the road to ruination.
>
> gh

Something else gh and I agree on.  Will wonders never cease?  They had high school
events at the Indoor Nationals when they were in Atlanta, and I was dead set against
that as well.  I remember a few years ago watching men high jumpers getting down to
the last few competitors, deciding who was going to the World Indoors, and seeing
their concentration spoiled by an announcer whipping up the crowd over a 3:25 4x400 HS
relay.  Most of the "crowd" in Atlanta it seems came for
the high school events, the place would empty out after the high school events were
over.  Many in the "crowd" seemed totally oblivious to the fact that they were at a
National Championship.  I remember sitting behind some Bubba talking on a cell phone
during the woman's pole vault.  While Dragila and others were vaulting he was going on
with Jethro about how there were "girls from schools all over the state and you can't
believe how high they're jumping, at least 13 feet."

I don't want HS events, Juniors events, rock music, light shows; nothing but
championship track and field at our Championships.

--
Wayne T. Armbrust, Ph.D.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]