This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by [EMAIL PROTECTED]

40 Years and 4 Minutes Away From History

February 24, 2002

By FRANK LITSKY

In 1954, Roger Bannister, then an English medical student,
ran a mile outdoors in 3 minutes 59.4 seconds, the first
sub-four- minute mile. At the time, at the University of
North Carolina, Jim Beatty was becoming a 4:06 miler with a
future.

That future made him, as it did Bannister, a track and
field icon. Forty years ago this month, Beatty ran the
first sub-four- minute mile indoors, 3:58.9 at the Los
Angeles Times meet.

"Forty years?" Beatty, 67, said in an interview last week.
"It seems like it happened last night. I still feel it so
much internally. A friend asked me if I remembered that
race, and I said when I go to bed at night I know I did it
and when I wake up in the morning I know I did it."

American track officials remember, too. On Friday night, at
the national indoor championships at the Armory Track and
Field Center in Upper Manhattan, they will honor Beatty.

He was born in Manhattan and lived on East 19th Street
until his family moved to Charlotte, N.C., before he
started first grade. He has lived in Charlotte since, and
for the last 27 years has run an executive search and
recruiting business. He is a popular public speaker, and if
his audiences want to see the "ABC Wide World of Sports"
tape of his breakthrough mile, as they usually do, he is
happy to oblige.

In those days, the sport had no superfast 200-meter indoor
ovals with friendly banked turns. Instead, American indoor
races were run on smaller, worn wooden tracks in basketball
and hockey arenas like the old Madison Square Garden and
the Los Angeles Sports Arena.

So in the eight years since Bannister's breakthrough, the
four-minute barrier had survived indoors. By 1962, Beatty
felt it was ready to fall to one of four men: Michel Jazy
of France, and the Americans Dyrol Burleson, Jim Grelle and
himself.

The Los Angeles meet invited five milers: Beatty, Grelle,
Laszlo Tabori and David Martin, all of whom trained
together with the Los Angeles Track Club, and Pete Close, a
marine formerly of St. John's.

"I was in four-minute shape," Beatty said. "That was my
goal. You know how in life the time comes for something to
happen? For four months, every workout was designed for
that race."

The plan was for Tabori to lead for the first quarter,
Beatty for the second and Grelle for the third, and then it
was anyone's race. Tabori ran the first quarter in 59
seconds, Beatty, all 5 feet 6 inches and 130 pounds of him,
finished the second quarter in 1:59 and, as he said, "The
crowd started going crazy." But in the third quarter, when
the pace slackened, Beatty made a quick decision.

"I told myself I had to take control right then and push
the pace," he said. "But I couldn't hear the timers give
the time at three-quarters and I couldn't hear the P.A.
because the crowd was so loud. It scared the daylights out
of me. I just ran the last quarter with every ounce of
energy I had."

When the race ended, Beatty ran back to the timers.

"How
fast was it?" he said, yelling over the crowd noise.

A timer shouted, "Three. . . . "

"I didn't hear the
rest," Beatty said. "That's all I needed to know."

In those days before professional track, runners held
full-time jobs. Beatty was a public-affairs executive for
an insurance company. He received no congratulatory call
from the White House, but when he returned to work on
Monday he got a standing ovation from his co-workers.

That mile was the first big race of Beatty's career year.
In a 16-day stretch in August, he broke American records at
five distances: 1,500 meters, mile, 3,000 meters, 3 miles
and 5,000 meters. During the year, he set a world record of
8:29.8 for two miles. He won the Sullivan Award as
America's outstanding amateur athlete.

In the fall of 1964, he was taking garbage out in the rain
when he stepped on a sharp piece of rusty metal. It gashed
the ball of the foot and required 27 stitches.

"I knew it was over," he said, and the next year he ran his
final race.

He settled down to real life. He has been chairman of many
charitable organizations. He served six years in the North
Carolina General Assembly, and in 1972 he was an
unsuccessful Democratic candidate for Congress in a
traditionally Republican district. He sounds happy with
life.

"If you feel a certain energy in yourself, if you believe
in yourself, you can do all things," he said. "I've had an
opportunity to give back to society in various ways. I'm
grateful I've been able to do that."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/24/sports/othersports/24TRAC.html?ex=1015649705&ei=1&en=6e98521c9c6e34e8

HOW TO ADVERTISE
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company