Netters:

        Re the recent discussions on track and field athletes at the winter
Olympics, the lastest issue of (Canadian) athletics reminded me of an
ancient case of this kind, though it didn't actually involve the Okynpic
Games themselves.

        IN an articles, reviewing some of Canda's early Olympic triumps,
there is mention of Sylnanus Apps, who won the PV at the 1934 Empire Games,
then switched to hockey and became a long-time star in the NHL with, as I
recall it, the Tronoto Maple Leafs. Since the Olympics were amateur-only in
those years, Apps was unable to take part. I know of no other Canadian (or
other) track star who followed this path.

        Parenthetically, hockey is an old passion of mine----though I never
could stand up on skates--and I watch the almost brawl-free Olympic Games
with great interest. Played that way---either by men or women--it can be a
game of artistry and certainly rates as one of the most difficult to master.

        Also, I was surprised that not much was made of the presence of the
two black track men on the winning U.S. bobsled team.

Ed Grant