At 11:57 PM 2/28/2002 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Any way you want to cut it, Rich, with all due respect, the worst thing about
>regional qualifying is the fact that it is just plain wrong.  Wrong---that's
>all there is to say about it.  And this is not my original statement; I have
>heard it put this way by many coaches at both DI and DII schools and the DII
>schols are not even involved!
>Scott

But what's wrong about it other than it changes the status quo?  I haven't
heard a convincing argument that is somehow puts the "best" athletes into
the NCAA!  I know from watching the sport and my own competitive career
that time trialing to qualify does not achieve that goal.  The opponents of
regional qualifying need to be much more analytical about the problem they
foresee other than it represents "change."

You need to come forward with a clear case of why conference meets or the
relays would be adversely affected.  The only legitimate argument that I
can understand is that somehow the necessity to chase good conditions to
get a qualifying mark drives athletes to a few relay meets.  That doesn't
hold water for meets like Penn and Drake where most of the elite athletes
actually compete in non-NCAA events, and field event qualifiers rarely
occur!  Mt. SAC and Texas may be different, but maybe they need to change
their model.

I'm not sure how the conference meets might be adversely affected, but the
fact is that the regionals will become more important and more interesting
to fans.  I'm not sure why we need to preserve conference meets, especially
with all of the shifting in conference alignments for football
purposes.  The Big 12 is not the same as the Big 8, and the SEC has changed
dramatically as well.  Regionals is just another step in that transformation.

Richard McCann