Do Genetically Based Differences Explain Some (or Much) of the Pattern of
Different Sports Performances by Population?

I just ran across an article in the current Daedalus, which is the magazine
of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences... a very, very prestigious
science journal. It discusses quite clearly (I believe) why there are
biologically based differences that can (and in fact do) account of sports
performance disparities and other behavior differences between population
groups. It's not much different than the points I've raised.

Here are two excerpts relating to sports; most of the piece is pegged to the
larger issue:

"To any sports observer it is obvious that among Olympic jumpers and
sprinters, African Americans are far more numerous than their frequency in
the population would predict. The disproportion is enormous. Yet we also
know that there are many white people who are better runners and jumpers
than the average black person. How can we explain this seeming
inconsistency? There is actually a simple explanation that is well known to
geneticists and statisticians, but not widely understood by the general
public or, for that matter, by political leaders.  Š [HE THEN EXPLAINS]

"I have already mentioned the gross overrepresentation of African Americans
among Olympic runners. This is closer to a true meritocracy than anything
else I can think of: a stopwatch is color-blind."

***

The entire essay can be downloaded on PDF format by going to the following
web page and clicking either James Crow's name or the title of the article
-- they're both the same link:
http://www.daedalus.amacad.org/issues/winter2002/winter2002.htm

It's a great complement to my article, "The Straw Man of 'Race' (World & I,
September 2002) which discusses the 'politics' that drives the way this
issue is discussed. That's at:
http://www.jonentine.com/reviews/straw_man_of_race.htm

*****

Here's the first few paragraphs:

Unequal by Nature:
A Geneticistıs Perspective on Human Differences

James F. Crow

In February of 2001, Craig Venter, president of Celera Genomics, commenting
on the near-completion of the human genome project, said that ³we are all
essentially identical twins.² A news headline at the time made a similar
point: Are We All One Race? Modern Science Says So. In the article that
followed, the author quoted geneticist Kenneth Kidd: ³Race is not
biologically definable, we are far too similar.²

Venter and Kidd are eminent scientists, so these statements must be
reasonable. Based on an examination of our DNA, any two human beings are
99.9 percent identical. The genetic differences between different groups of
human beings are similarly minute. Still, we only have to look around to see
an astonishing variety of individual differences in sizes, shapes, and
facial features. Equally clear are individual differences in susceptibility
to disease­and in athletic, mathematical, and musical abilities. Individual
differences extend to differences between group averages. Most of these
average differences are inconspicuous, but some­such as skin color­stand
out.

Why this curious discrepancy between the evidence of DNA and what we can
clearly see? If not DNA, what are the  causes of the differences we perceive
between individuals and between groups of human beings?

DNA is a very long molecule, composed of two strands twisted around each
other to produce the famous double helix. There are forty-six such DNA
molecules in a human cell, each (along with some proteins) forming a
chromosome. The DNA in a human chromosome, if stretched out, would be an
inch or more in length. How this is compacted into a microscopic blob some
1/1000 inch long without getting hopelessly tangled is an engineering marvel
that is still a puzzle.

...8 more pages...

--
Jon Entine