The Irish Times
Saturday, March 30, 2002

Sonia O'Sullivan took revenge on Romania's Gabriela Szabo in the Balmoral
Road races this afternoon after losing to her in a nail-biting finish for
the Olympic 5000 metres gold medal in Sydney.

The Tesco Italiano five-mile race on Royal Deeside was merely a low key
stepping-stone for all competitors in their build-up to the summer's track
season and the European Championships and Commonwealth Games.

But it meant more to two of the world's greatest middle-distance runners.

O'Sullivan, winner by 27 seconds in 25 minutes 16 seconds, is resuming her
career after giving birth to her second daughter, Sophie, on December 23.

For Szabo it was her first race since the World Championships. After winning
the 1500m gold medal in Edmonton last August, she finished a weary eighth
when attempting to defend her 5000m title.

Today Sazbo ran her first race since then and remarkably it was the first
time the 26-year-old had contested a road event at any level.

Szabo was no match for O'Sullivan, who took the lead after the first mile
and hammered not only the multi indoor world record holder but the rest of
the field including third-placed Australian 5000m record holder Benita
Johnson, who clocked 25mins 55secs.

"The wind was very strong and blowing me everywhere. I have been doing a lot
of long runs _ now I will have to concentrate on my speedwork but I'm happy
to be racing again," said Szabo.

O'Sullivan was even happier. "I'm just a tough old woman," beamed the
32-year-old who has yet to decide whether to defend both her European 5000
and 10000m crowns this August in Munich.

But it was just that sort of toughness which two years ago after first child
Ciara was born, saw her fight her way back to top fitness and take the
silver medal behind Szabo on a balmy night in Sydney.

Today the bright sunshine at Balmoral suddenly changed and it did not help
Szabo, who tried initially to shelter behind her rival's much taller frame.

But O'Sullivan was not in a benevolent mood. She knew the course well after
coasting to victory in 2000.

O'Sullivan said: "My plan was to go hard up the hill on the second circuit
but I found myself doing it first time around. I've learned if you can make
a break early in road running you can normally keep it going.

"The wind did make it difficult and it was making it a rough ride. But I
wasn't in the mood to hang around for anyone. I suppose I'm now a tough old
woman."

Eamonn Condon
www.RunnersGoal.com