At 04:23 PM 5/30/02 -0400, Jorma  wrote:
>Our state coaches' association spoke a few years ago of limit changes and we
>were presented with a sample of what some states have in effect. If I
>remember, they ranged from one open, one relay (Mass?) to any 10
>(Arkansas?).

Mass used to have one track/one field/one relay.  Now it's two of either
plus relay, though there can be two relays and one individual (I think)
Still can't do more than one event over 400 - no 800/mile, mile/2, 800/2.

>This was about 6 years ago. I assume that if that was true, it was for the
>purpose of decathlon scoring?
>As for national rules (someone else's message here), there are still several
>states that run non-standard events (eg VT running 3k/1500m) and even
>additional events (Maine racewalk).

RI also runs 1500/3000, as well as throwing the hammer (and weight
indoors).  Some sections of NY have the girls' racewalk.
And don't NY men run the steeplechase?

Steve Vaitones
Managing Director
USA Track & Field - New England Association
P.O.Box 1905
Brookline MA 02446-0016
Phone: 617 566 7600
Fax: 617 734 6322