-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Ed Grant
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 7:36 PM
To: track net
Subject: t-and-f: Timing question

Netters:

    I ran into something last night at the Bergen County Meet of Champions
which left me with some questions about the current state of
automatic-timing.

        First, some background: I was at the National AAU meet at Randalls
Island, NY, where Frank Budd set the then hand-timed WR for 100 yards of
9.2. The race was, as I think I jhave mentioned in a past post, also
automatically timed by the Bulova system. The next day, in reporting the
ecord, the nespapers also mentioned that the auto-time on the race was 9.36.

        Curious about this, I contacted the Bulova spokesman who explained
that there was a "built-in: gap of .16 seconds between auto-timing and the
most accurate hand-timing because the auto-timer was let off by the contact
of the trigger and the explotion of the gun and flash came that must later.
So, in a way, the athletes were "cheated" of their proper time.

        Since then, it has become customary for statisticians to convert old
hand times to match the auto-times (for performanmce lists) by adding .14
for races starting and finishing in the same place and .24 for those (like
the 100s , 200s and HHs) where the start is some distance from the finish.

        Now, the meet last night was handled by our most reliable timing
service, Ed Scullion';s. But when the auto-times were being announced
(instantaneously, by the way) from the press boi, coaches at the finish line
were confused because they either matched their (the coaches) hand times or
were, ina couple of cases, faster. My own hand-timing was also a lot closer
to the auto time than usual.

        Since there was obviously no cable connection between the starter
and the system, I inquired how the aut-timer was being triggered and the
starter showed me a "hearing" device which started the timer by the sound of
the gun.

        Now, it would seem to me that this is a more accurate way of
auto-timing than in the past since the timer starts simultaneously with the
athlete hearing the gun. But it would also, it seems, produced slightly
faster aut-times than the older cable connections. But I would like some
input on it so I ask these questions:

        1) Is this soundstarting system now in general use?

        2) Have any of you encountered the same timing anomalies which were
present last night, i.e., hand-times to close to the auto, or even slower
than it.

        There were, of course, some past meets which had what was called
"semi-auto" timing, that is the finish line was caught with a camera, but
the system was started by hand. That is not the case here--the system,
again, is started by the sound of the gun, independent of any human
intervention.

                                        Ed Grant