WORLD'S FASTEST MARATHONER RETURNING TO CHICAGO

World Record Holder Khalid Khannouchi To Run The LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon

Chicago (June 17, 2002) Khalid Khannouchi, the fastest man ever to run a marathon, has
committed to
his fifth LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon, announced today by Carey Pinkowski, executive
race
director. Khannouchi holds the World Record, the American Record and is a three-time
champion on
Chicago’s fast course. Sunday, October 13 marks the 25th Anniversary of The LaSalle
Bank Chicago
Marathon.

"Khalid Khannouchi continues to set a standard of success in the sport of marathoning
that is almost
beyond comprehension," said Pinkowski. "We are extremely pleased with his decision to
compete in
Chicago this fall. The excitement and anticipation going into this year's race is
already building
intensely."

Khannouchi's three record-setting Chicago performances have made his name synonymous
with The
LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon. His unmatched marathon success started with his 1997
debut victory in
Chicago in 2:07:10. At the time it was the fastest marathon debut ever. In 1998
Khannouchi placed
second in Chicago but came back to set a then World Record of 2:05:42 at The 1999
LaSalle Bank
Chicago Marathon. After becoming an American citizen in May of 2000, Khannouchi set a
then American
marathon record of 2:07:01 with his third Chicago victory in the fall of 2000.

"After a year of being absent, I am delighted to come back to The LaSalle Bank Chicago
Marathon and
to the course that I love and enjoy very much," remarked Khannouchi. "I am very happy
to go back to
the city I consider my home away from home, the city where I was born a marathon
runner and back to
the people who have supported me through good times and bad. I hope to provide Chicago
with another
great performance this fall."

This year Khannouchi overcame one of the strongest fields ever assembled to lower his
own World
Record in a victory at the London Marathon in 2:05:38. The dramatic race included
Khannouchi passing
two of the greatest distance runners ever ? Paul Tergat and Haile Gebresalassie ? in
the final two
miles. Khannouchi’s London victory was also a redemption of sorts. He finished third
in the 2000
London Marathon in 2:08:36, missed the 2000 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials with injuries
and dropped
out of the 2001 World Championships Marathon due to severe foot blisters.

"After Khalid's 2:05:38 World Record performance in London this spring, there is no
telling what
this incredibly talented athlete is capable of," said Pinkowski. "I was there in
London and was
impressed to observe Khannouchi take complete control and dominate one of the greatest
marathon
fields ever assembled."

The LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon has always lived up to its reputation as one of the
world's
fastest courses. Last year Catherine Ndereba set the women’s World Record of 2:18:47
in Chicago. In
1985 Joan Benoit Samuelson set the woman’s American record of 2:21:21 in Chicago. In
its 24-year
history Chicago has also owned two men’s World Records (1984 Steve Jones ? 2:08:05,
1999 Khalid
Khannouchi ? 2:05:42).

Elite athletes will compete this fall for an event record purse of $500,000. The male
and female
winners each will earn $100,000, the largest ever payout for first place in a
marathon. The 2002
LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon begins Sunday, October 13 at 7:30 a.m., starting and
finishing in
Chicago’s Grant Park. The race will be televised live on NBC5 and broadcast on
Chicago’s ESPN Radio
AM1000 from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. The 2002 race is expected to draw up to the
registration cap of
37,500 participants.

The Marathon is open to all runners who can complete the course in less than six
hours. For
information call toll-free 1-888-243-3344 (U.S. and Canada) or (312) 904-9800.
Registration is $80
($90 for international participants) and can be completed online by visiting
www.chicagomarathon.com. Mail-in entries will be accepted until September 9, 2002.
Runners
registering online receive a $5 discount and have a September 16, 2002 deadline or
until the
registration cap is reached, whichever comes first. There will be no race weekend
registration.

# # #