Netters:

        In putting together my next HS annual, I noticed something which had
escaped me at Raleigh. ]

        Though it was not his "fastest" four-lap race---his best 1600 time
is slightly better--Jeremy Zagorski of Parsippany Hills set a state soph
mile record at Raleigh with his unllaced 4:16.40.

        What makes this interesting is the identity of the former co-holders
of the record: from 1967, Marty Liquori; from 1977, Kevin Byrne,, two
legendary names in our state's history of the sport. (When I selected the
all-century teams a year ago, Marty was of course the outdoor mile choice,
Kevin the indoor choice).

        Zagorski, I think, has quite a future. He is still basically a kid
with a lot of naturaly physical development to come (unlike Kevin, for
example, whose physaique didn't change much between sophomore and senior
year. He has not been over-raced in his first two HS years, parly because of
injury and illness limitations which have affected both his CC seasons. It
will be interesting to see what he can do with a full season (hopefully)
this coming year.

        He will not lack for competition, however. The sophomore class this
year in NJ was one of the best ever and there are two hot seniors-to-be,
Chris Platt (the anchor of the Haddonfield indoor national DMR champs) and
John Richardson of Ocea, City (who missed the 1600 in this year's state AG
meet when he suffered heat problems after needlessly running the 3200 on the
first day of the group meet.

                                                        Ed Grant