a release from HSI:

For Immediate Release                    Contact:  Danielle Reaves
July 15, 2002                                      HSI
                                           949.833.9913

ATO BOLDEN ENDS SEASON EARLY

Ato has decided to conclude his current season now, and after a short break
of maybe a month, start preparing for next season where he will represent
Trinidad and Tobago at the World Championships to be held in Paris.  His
plans include competing indoors and outdoors next year.

He and his coach John Smith believe he used too short of a time period in
preparing for this season, and his times in competitions this year have
fallen short of what he and his fans have been accustomed to seeing.  He
will therefore pack it up for the season.

It appears the Commonwealth Games will not get the match-up some had
anticipated with the absence of Ato and now rumored Dwayne Chambers who may
have gotten hurt competing in the 200 meters in England this past week.

Boldon has many goals left to accomplish in his track and field career, and
therefore, plans to continue for many more years in the future.  He is only
28 years old, and as we have seen, sprinters have been extremely successful
well into their mid thirties.

Boldon has established himself as one of the worldıs best in this sport thus
far.  He has been ranked by Track and Field News in the top three in the 100
meters for the last five years.  Additionally, before last year when he
began concentrating on the 100 meters, he was ranked in the top three in the
200 meters for five years.  He was also the World Champion in that event.
Furthermore, Ato has distinguished himself in the 100 meters as a sub 9.9
sprinter, ranking only second to Maurice Greene.  Boldonıs sub 9.9 races
total 10 while Greeneıs total 17.

³I am not in the kind of shape that I would like to be in at this point of
the year,² stated Boldon.  ³This has been a great lesson, and now I know
what I need to do for next year.  I promise my fans that I will be back to
my old self by then.²