I'm elated to see Fredericks back on top where he deserves to be, after a
2 year absence brought on by an Achilles problem.  He's 34 now.  He was
set for a great year in 1999, running a 19.92 Down Under in February, and
opening up the regular season with an astounding 19.87 (-1.2) in Osaka.

This year, he's the only sprinter to go sub-20 at non-altitude (Gatlin's
performances having been stricken).  He also has the leading time in the
world this year for the 100m under any conditions (9.85w).  I hope we
haven't seen the last of his great performances for the year.  I'd like to
see him go sub-10 / sub-19.9 before the year's out.

Fredericks has to be the classiest sprinter of all time, and certainly one
of the top sprinters of all time.  Great job for him!

                                        J.