Anyone ever notice that out of every sub 13 ever run the majority (i.e. all
but 2 or 3) of the guys are 28 or younger? And that has nothing to do with
Kenyans "lying" about their ages. We have Ethiopia, Germany, Morocco, USA ,
Algeria, Belgium, France, all listed there (granted the German was over 30
and the Belgian and French men are Moroccon by birth I believe). I mean even
BK was only 26!!!!!!! Think about it a second. Our fastest 5k guys are
usually 3:40low 1500 guys and 13:30ish 5k guys in college. If we assume that
24-28 are the peak years for a 5k runner (against the American idea that its
28-32), and the average elite athlete graduates at 23, then that means you
have to improve A LOT and FAST if you are going to maximize your peak
physical years. I'll be 25 in October, and I'll tell ya one thing, I'm past
my physical peak. When I was 21/22 I could run 100 mile weeks, 2 workouts
and a race... with easy days at 6:00 pace... but I would break if I tried
half of that now (note: do not take the good training as a direct
correlation to good racing)! Has anyone ever thought that the whole "peak in
you late 20s early 30's" idea is outdated and maybe a by-product of the
sentiment that college is the best thing for an 18 year old? I mean come on,
how could college be bad... think of all the time you have when you are
done! (sarcasm there). If you're halfway through your peak, training and
racing like a wuss, not maximizing the body's healing capabilities at that
age, you may miss the biological boat!

Ideas?  Oh yeah, the rare examples of those running fast late doesn't hold
much water.  What is fast today (in the 5k) is not what was fast 10 or 20
years ago.  I'm talking sub 13:00s here.