There you have it, the analysis from John MacAdam.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Christopher Goss
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 1:28 AM
To: Hanks, Jeffrey S; 'picqc'; Mike Prizy
Cc: Kurt Bray; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: t-and-f: Concrete VS Asphalt (was: Why on the street?)

Ouch!  Lots of bad science here, Jeff.

Let's take today's issues one by one...

1) Hardness
The proper comparison of running surfaces is indeed hardness and the
golf ball test WILL provide an accurate relative comparison between
surfaces of two hardnesses.  When you hear engineers or scientists
talking about the hardness of a material, they are usually speaking of
one of several standardized measurements performed on the material.  The
most common measurements are Brinell, Rockwell, Vickers, and Shore.  The
selected measurement technique depends upon the material, as each method
is better than the others over different ranges of hardness.  The
equipment used for these measurements is expensive and not very
portable.  A portable tool used to estimate material hardness is
interestingly a ball dropped within a tube. The height of the bounce
(measured by graduated marks on the side of the
tube) is calibrated to the estimate of the material hardness.  Pretend
you are a billiards ball.  Would you rather hit another ball (which is
hard) or the table's rail (which is not nearly as hard)?  The same thing
applies to your feet.  Lots more about hardness may be found at
http://www.calce.umd.edu/general/Facilities/Hardness_ad_.htm .

2) Concrete versus asphalt
Concrete has a narrow range of hardness whether it is old or new, cold
or hot.  Asphalt, however, has a much wider range of hardness that is
indeed affected by the age, temperature, manufactured density, and
composition of the material.  I suspect this range is what has generated
some of the differences in opinion regarding the hardness comparisons
between concrete and asphalt.  Fresh asphalt is not nearly as hard as
concrete and is therefore a better running surface than concrete.  This
is because fresh asphalt does indeed have internal air pockets, as well
as soft tar that can flex under load.  (It has nothing to do with the
microscopic interaction between the surface of the asphalt and the
bottom of one's shoes.  There is no "nestling" between shoes and the
running surface.)  Over time, the asphalt will compact, increasing the
hardness as the tiny air pockets disappear and the tar simply hardens.
The amount of gravel used in different asphalt mixtures will also affect
the hardness.  So, running on old asphalt with a high gravel
concentration on a cold day may feel closer to concrete.  Still not sure
about asphalt and concrete?  Go give both of them a whack with a large
hammer or sledge.  You'll feel the difference.

3) Temperature
Remember science class when you turned water into ice by lowering the
temperature?  Same thing happens to asphalt and especially dirt --
anything with some liquid content that can experience a phase change
through a lowering of the material temperature.  Sure, asphalt can
approach the hardness of concrete at very cold temperatures, but due to
its relatively high moisture content, dirt can also become very hard.
Cross country teams in International Falls can vouch for this one.  So,
Jeff is correct that the surfaces will be closer in hardness as the
temperature decreases.

4) Shoes and hardness
Someone mentioned earlier that the rubber in running shoes eliminated
the issue of the hardness of the running surface.  A cushioned running
shoe will distribute the energy transmitted to the running surface over
a longer period of time.  This reduces the maximum force imparted to the
surface. It's a bit like bending your knees to soften the impact when
you jump off of tall box (like in plyometrics).  Even with cushioned
shoes, there is a force that is reflected back into the foot.  This
force is dependent upon the coefficient of restitution between the two
materials.  For our case, we can consider this relatively equivalent to
the hardness.  Shoes will soften the impact, but a runner wearing the
same pair of shoes will feel a greater impact as he moves from a softer
surface to a harder one.

5) Falling down
In most cases, the severity of falling or stumbling injuries is not an
issue of hardness, but roughness.  Concrete is generally rougher than
asphalt -- at least the sidewalk variety.  Dragging skin across a
rougher surface naturally produces greater abrasions.  Of course if an
elbow, knee, or head contacts either surface at an angle close to
perpendicular, hardness is once again the issue regarding severity (see
items 1 & 2).

So, what did we learn today -- other than the fact that all of my
classes will run late if I someday get a chance to quit the corporate
engineering racket and pursue a career as a science teacher?  We learned
that running on asphalt is softer than running on concrete, but that the
difference between the two depends upon the composition, density, age
and temperature of the asphalt.

Oh, and we also learned that there are a lot of people on this list
(present company certainly included) that know how to speculate on peak
age, nutrition, running surfaces, etc., but not nearly as many seem to
know (or are willing to post) cold hard facts, results, splits, race
reports, and statistics on track & field.  ;)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]