> One interesting comment I've heard from some first timers at Chicago is
that they would do more
> speed work before the next time they run Chicago. After his 1997 run in
Chicago, Khalid Khannouchi
> said he would treat his next Chicago more like a 10,000 on the track.

Yeah, but look at the staple workouts he did before both his world records -
long, hard runs where he drops the pace down to faster than marathon pace by
the end.  That is probably the most common workout among all modern
marathoners - a hard "pace" run of 15-23 miles, with most of them cutting
down the pace as they go.

He may have said he'd train more like a 10K runner, but I feel certain that
the most critical piece in his world records (aside from talent and
toghness) were these long hard runs, which a 10K runner would never do.

- Ed Parrot